Bermuda Rhodes Scholarship 2017
1. Applications are now sought for the award of the annual Rhodes Scholarship assigned to Bermuda tenable at the University of Oxford in October, 2017.
2. All University and College tuition fees and expenses are paid direct by the Trust and in addition the Scholar receives a personal stipend or allowance which is expected to be approximately £13,000 per annum. The Trust pays the cost of travel to Oxford. Tenure of other awards in conjunction with a Rhodes Scholarship at Oxford is not permitted without prior consultation with Rhodes House.
3. Appointment will be made by the Selection Committee for Bermuda, subject in all cases, to review and confirmation by the Rhodes Trustees, only after acceptance of the candidate by an Oxford College. There is no guarantee of acceptance and no confirmation will be given until acceptance.
4. The following are the conditions under which a candidate is eligible to compete:
a. You must be a Bermudian, the holder of a Permanent Residency Certificate or the child of a holder of a Permanent Residency Certificate. The candidate must have been resident in Bermuda for at least five consecutive years immediately preceding 1st January of the year for which the Scholarship is to be awarded. Periods of absence for the purposes of education are disregarded;
b. A candidate who satisfies the citizenship qualification in other Rhodes constituencies may not apply for a Scholarship in more than one such constituency;
c. You must have been educated in Bermuda for at least five years;
d. You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 1st October 2017. This means candidates must have been born after 30 September 1992 and on or before 1 October, 1998;
e. Candidates must have completed (or be due to complete by 1 October 2017) an undergraduate degree, normally a Bachelorís degree of at least three years, from a recognised university;
f. The Rhodes Trust and Oxford University require that selection for a Scholarship and for admission to the University will be without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, sex and gender, religion, sexual orientation, social background, disability, caste or other irrelevant distinction;
g. A selection committee will make no nomination if it is of the opinion that there is no sufficiently qualified candidate.
5. The Selection Committee is responsible, subject to ratification by the Rhodes Trustees, for deciding whether candidates comply with the foregoing conditions. In any case of doubt, the Trustees reserve complete discretion to determine the eligibility or otherwise of the candidate.
6. Applications with all the required material must be in the hands of the Secretary not later than midnight on Friday, 21st October, 2016. The interviews have been tentatively scheduled for Thursday evening & Friday, 24th & 25th November, 2016 in Bermuda. For further information about the Bermuda Rhodes Scholarship and for the link to Rhodes House and the Application site, please go on-line to www.rhodes.bm.
John C.R. Collis
Secretary of the Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee for Bermuda
P.O. Box HM 3363
Hamilton HM PX, Bermuda.
Tel: +1 441 232 4098 Fax: +1 441 236 6885 Email: email@example.com
Visit the website: www.rhodes.bm