Bermuda Rhodes Scholarship 2019
1. Applications are now sought for the award of the annual Rhodes Scholarship assigned to Bermuda tenable at the University of Oxford in October, 2019.
2. All University and College tuition fees and expenses are paid direct by the Trust and in addition the Scholar receives a personal stipend or allowance which is expected to be approximately £13,000 per annum. The Trust pays the cost of travel to Oxford. Tenure of other awards in conjunction with a Rhodes Scholarship at Oxford is not permitted without prior consultation with Rhodes House.
3. Appointment will be made by the Selection Committee for Bermuda, subject in all cases, to review and confirmation by the Rhodes Trustees, only after acceptance of the candidate by an Oxford College. There is no guarantee of acceptance and no confirmation will be given until acceptance.
4. The following are the conditions under which a candidate is eligible to compete:
a. Nationality/citizenship: You must be a Bermudian, the holder of a Permanent Residency Certificate or the child of a holder of a Permanent Residency Certificate. You must have been resident in Bermuda for at least five consecutive years immediately preceding 1st January of the year for which the Scholarship is to be awarded. Periods of absence for the purposes of education are disregarded.
b. Education/residency: You must have been educated in Bermuda for at least five years.
c. Age: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 25th birthday on 1 October 2019, which means you must have been born after 30 September 1994 and on or before 1 October 2000
d. Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by the summer of 2019) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelorís degree) to a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. In this respect, please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
5. The Selection Committee is responsible, subject to ratification by the Rhodes Trustees, for deciding whether candidates comply with the foregoing conditions. In any case of doubt, the Trustees reserve complete discretion to determine the eligibility or otherwise of the candidate.
6. Applications with all the required material must be in the hands of the Secretary not later than midnight on Wednesday, 31st October, 2018. The interviews have been tentatively scheduled for Sunday evening & Monday, 25th & 26th November, 2018 in Bermuda. For further information about the Bermuda Rhodes Scholarship and for the link to Rhodes House and the Application site, please go on-line to www.rhodes.bm.
John C.R. Collis
Secretary of the Rhodes Scholarship Selection Committee for Bermuda
P.O. Box HM 3363
Hamilton HM PX, Bermuda.
Tel: +1 441 232 4098 | Fax: +1 441 236 6885 | Email: email@example.com
Visit the website: www.rhodes.bm